Re: [Lingo] Usually Kanji in 国語 dictionary

On 11/09/2015 06:12 PM, Jim Breen wrote:
On 10 November 2015 at 12:58, steve <sjs@example.com> wrote:
As far as I can see, my Sanseidou 大辞林 dictionary doesn't mark words
that are usually written only in kana. Am I missing something?

I don't think so.

It's rare for dictionaries to mark that. GG5 for example will sometimes show it
by only using kana in examples of usage.

In JMdict/EDICT we attempt to mark it explicitly with a "uk" (usually
kana) tag. We base this largely on frequency counts from WWW corpora,
which seem to be pretty reliable. Certainly they align well with GG5's
examples.
Thank you Jim.

JMdict and EDICT were where I encountered it and my Japanese Teacher didn't even understand the question. It seems like a really useful piece of information to me though.

Steve Smith