Re: [Lingo] List of new words in Japanese

On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 22:46 +0100, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am searching for a list of words that are newly introduced into
> Japanese (in the last 5 - 10 years). I mean words like ヤメール
> (breaking up via e-mail), スタバル (going to starbucks) or
> オン寝 (falling asleep while waiting on an answer while chatting
> or while waiting on a reply on an e-mail). Maybe something like urbandictionary.com
>   but for Japanese.

Very cool! I've never heard these (been out of the country too long).

> Does anybody know a resource in the web for such words (best in list-
> form) or has a good idea for what I could google (I tried 新たな
> 言葉、現代的 言葉、新言葉、新単語、新しい 言葉).
>
> I'd appreciate any help :)

This would be a very interesting programming exercise. You would take a
corpus of Japanese text (you could probably crawl the web), parse the
text and compare each word to an online dictionary. Words that don't
match are either neologisms, errors or obscure words. Hopefully, it
would be mostly the first.

--
Stuart Luppescu -=- slu .at. ccsr.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR
 Riley: I don't know. Xander said...  Buffy:
 Xander?! Oh, he's the deadest man in Deadonia.