Re: [Lingo] 上手・上手い

On 水, 2009-03-18 at 04:50 +0900, Josh Glover wrote:
> Not quite. 上手い usually means "excellent", whereas 上手 is almost
> always used to mean "skillful" or "good at". For example, some 焼きそ
> ば can be 上手い (actually, it would usually be written with just the
> hiragana うまい, AFAIK),

I seem to remember hearing 上手い spoken as じょうずい as a slang,
jocular term (in which case it would have the ``skillful'' meaning).
Also, from my experience, perhaps warped by reading mainly 漫画, the
most common ways to write うまい in the ``tasty'' meaning are

(sorry, I hit ctrl-enter to send the message, instead of ctrl-space to change input methods)

うまい、旨い,美味い, and 上手い in that order.

--
Stuart Luppescu -=- slu .at. ccsr.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR

--
Stuart Luppescu -=- slu .at. ccsr.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR
才文と智奈美の父 -=-    Kernel 2.6.25-gentoo-r7
Faith: You can't trust guys.  Buffy: You can trust
 some guys. Really, I've read about them.