[Lingo] 上手・上手い

I recently received an email from a friend that used the word 上手い・う まい. It's the first time I'd seen it but was familiar already with 上 手・じょうず. These two look pretty similar in meaning with the exception that one is an i adjective and the other is a na adjective. Does anyone know if there is a reason for having the two words other than 'it just happened that way?' I'm sure there are are other words like that and I'm just curious.

Thanks
Steve S.