Re: [Lingo] 上手・上手い

dave@example.com writes:

 > I sometimes see うまい spelled 美味い。I'd assume this version
 > specifically refers to taste, though the Jdict includes the "skillful"
 > definition as well.

If you use the Microsoft or Apple IMEs, you will typically get a kanji
usage guide.  Dunno if that applies to "うまい".  My Zaurus has the
広辞苑 dictionary in it which also makes these fine distinctions
(that's where I got most of the information in my previous post).  Its
和英 dictionary isn't that good, 和英 dictionaries rarely are.