Re: tlug: time

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, John Seebach wrote:

> How can one safely change the time of a running system?
>
> Previous UNIX experience has led me to believe that this is a Bad Thing.
>
> I'm sure there's a way, but I haven't been able to find it.
>
> # date -s  # seems like a bad idea

I don't know about `date -s`; it's not in my `man date`.

But, I see a "-a adjustment" option:  "On BSD-based systems,
the adjustment is made by changing the rate at which time advances".
This can adjust the time forward or backward the given number of seconds.
It sounds good.  Does it apply to Linux?

If you're talking about changing the hardware clock, I don't know
what effect that might have, if any.

--
David Beutel          "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra
jdb@example.com    and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.

Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691