Re: tlug: "strings" for Java class files

Simon Cozens wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 10:04:43PM +0900, Adrian D. Havill wrote:
> > I have a strings program that:
> > 2) is 100% reliable
>
> Thank you. I have not laughed so much in a long, long time.

ok. ok. you got me.

I meant that it's reliable in the sense of no ambiguities trying to
determine if the stream is instruction code or shift-jis (which can
never be 100% reliable). The reliablity of the prog in q is not the
issue-- it's the reliability of knowing whether a sequence of bytes is a
string or not.

One thing I find that's neat about it is in class files there's all
sorts of neat URLs (given the URL happy nature of Java) embedded in
applets on the web often. (* granted, normal GNU "strings" will find
these too... except that it'll print a lot of garbage)
--
Adrian HAVILL
PGP Key Fingerprint: D5B6 321C 0F82 117D EAC2 6D08 D942 FA38 7427 8195