Re: tlug: Redhat 6.1: (Bad) First Impressions

>I decided to give Redhat 6.1 a try yesterday.  It looks like they rushed the
>release (again). [1]

Me too (relative to the day you wrote it). I also installed it on
the 6th of Oct.

>I tried to update the RH6.0 installation on my main work machine.  The RH6.1
>(admittedly pretty) X-based installer claims I don't have any Linux
>partitions.  :-(

I wanted to check out how RH6.1 installs from scratch (not an upgrade), and
since my /home and /etc and other irreplacible stuff lies on other
partitions, I decided to do a clean install. (without formatting the
/home and /usr/local etc partitions, just settting a mount point). I
selected "Custom install" and then in the next menu selected various stuff
like "Mail server", "KDE", "GNOME" etc. I noticed that the "Base package"
option was missing.  Furthermore, I selected "Select individual packages"
so I can check what packages RH is dumping into my harddisk.

I noticed that since I selected "KDE", all the KDE packages were check-marked
for installation. But viola. None of the base packages were even checked.
(Note: I did not notice any "Base package" option in "custom installation")
I.e. when you install RH6.1 the base packages using custom installation
and "select individual packages" if you do not explicitly go check each of
the base packages they will NOT be installed.

This is a little long winded. But anyone noticed this problem? Jim's right.
RH might have rushed it a little.

>[1] Long time TLUG readers will recall my favorite rant against Redhat is
>the limited time between "beta" and "gold", meaning few errors get detected,
>and even fewer fixed.

Depends on which companies you compare it to <wink>

>P.P.S. Apologies to Stephen for over-using the "footnoted Email" technique.
>(But I actually talk like this, and can't decide where to put all of my
>parenthetical remarks.  :-)

Big LaTeX user, huh? I wonder when MSOffice (or StarOffice for that matter)
could handle footnotes gracefully.

p/s: Is WordPerfect for Linux dead?

regards,
Chiew
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691