Re: tlug: Greenfrog Linux Nihongo Kit up.

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     jb> Fortunately, the majority of those don't actually have to be
>     jb> looked at and can be handled with Mutt's marvelous
>     jb> pattern-matching delete feature :-)
>
> That looks like a job for procmail to me.  And of course VM, Gnus, and
> (I assume) Mew all allow _any_ operation to be done on all messages
> that match some pattern.  :-)

Oh, procmail is in here, too.  Techincally, all postmaster mail is
supposed to be seen by a human, but a lot of this doesn't actually need
to be read, so I can delete huge swaths of it.  OK, yeah, I could just
/dev/null it from procmail, but this observes the letter of the RFC  :-)

> AFAIK Pine is strictly TTY-oriented, so you have to hand off all non-
> straight-text content to something like Metamail.  (Maybe it does
> qp-decoding, but I don't recall that.)  It ought to be possible to

This seemed to work OK in the 3.96 that came with previous verions of
TL, so I may actually go back to that.  Some key bindings were changed
in Pine 4, too, and that hasn't exactly made me a happy camper.  Once
you memorize a keystroke sequence, it's hard to break.

>     jb> in kanji bakemoji such that it not only is unreadable itself,
>     jb> but wipes out the display for Pine such that I have to quit
>     jb> Pine and restart it after deleting the mail.  So far I haven't
>
> <titter>
>
> Have you tried setting your kterm to SJIS then reading the offending
> mail?  All your ISO-2022-JP mail will be mojibake, but at least you
> can probably read the kaiju-mail.

I'll try that.  Of course, since SJIS is evil and should be killed
anyway, it's more fun to just delete it.  Going back to Jpine 3.96 may
also resolve all these issues.

>     jb> been able to even get to the headers to see what character
>     jb> encoding is hosing it, but circumstantial evidence (the people
>     jb> it tends to come from) make me suspect s-jis.  Best guesses
>
> What is your terminal encoding set to?  What terminal are you using?

An interesting question, since I'm using Gnome and you don't get the
usual things you would expect when doing a ctrl-right click in a kterm,
just the Gnome options menu.  Whatever kterm defaults to, which I hope
would be EUC on a UNIX system, but . . . ?  Anyway, to see if it has an
effect, I just added a -km euc switch to the menu entry I start Pine
with, so that should force it to EUC (one hopes).  I'll observe that for
a while and see what happens.

Thanks for all the ideas on this.  I'll keep plugging away at it.

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691