Re: tlug: Greenfrog Linux Nihongo Kit up.

    jb> On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Austin Kurahone wrote:
    >> pps: Jonathan, I didn't experience any build errors when making
    >> Mutt....Weird.

    jb> You're just doing that to drive me crazy, aren't you?  :-)

<snicker>

    jb> Fortunately, the majority of those don't actually have to be
    jb> looked at and can be handled with Mutt's marvelous
    jb> pattern-matching delete feature :-)

That looks like a job for procmail to me.  And of course VM, Gnus, and
(I assume) Mew all allow _any_ operation to be done on all messages
that match some pattern.  :-)

    jb> [1] But the version in TL-J 4.0 doesn't seem to be able to
    jb> handle Japanese headers.  Also, some Japanese mail comes out

AFAIK Pine is strictly TTY-oriented, so you have to hand off all non-
straight-text content to something like Metamail.  (Maybe it does
qp-decoding, but I don't recall that.)  It ought to be possible to
have metamail process those headers.  But then you had better have
bodies in ISO-2022-JP as well.  (This is the big problem with I18N on
TTYs; they can only handle one encoding at a time.)  If your
correspondent uses MIME encoded-words in the headers and SJIS in the
body you're hosed, probably.

    jb> in kanji bakemoji such that it not only is unreadable itself,
    jb> but wipes out the display for Pine such that I have to quit
    jb> Pine and restart it after deleting the mail.  So far I haven't

<titter>

Have you tried setting your kterm to SJIS then reading the offending
mail?  All your ISO-2022-JP mail will be mojibake, but at least you
can probably read the kaiju-mail.

    jb> been able to even get to the headers to see what character
    jb> encoding is hosing it, but circumstantial evidence (the people
    jb> it tends to come from) make me suspect s-jis.  Best guesses

What is your terminal encoding set to?  What terminal are you using?
It could be screwed up ISO-2022-JP with funny escape sequences in it.
It could be some stupid Windows-12xx encoding with printing characters
in the C1 control space.  But we know that SJIS does that, so I'd
guess you're right.

    jb> for originating MUAs are Eudora Pro (Mac, Win, both?) and
    jb> Outlook Express (Mac, Win, both?).  If anybody else is getting
    jb> this and has a better handle on what character encoding and/or
    jb> mail clients can be implicated here, drop me a line.

FWIW, the only client I have regularly had bad experiences with is
Windows Oops-hosed.  Mac clients and Windows Eudora clients seem to
only go bad when the user is smart and considerate enough to know that
s/he ought to be doing something about encodings, and messes up.
Windows Oops-hosed, OTOH, seems capable of getting screwed up all by
itself.  As you should know.  ;-)

For this kind of problem, you really ought to drag out the big guns.
Use Mule with either Mew, Gnus, or VM to get a good look at the whole
message, headers included.

If you can't hack that, use a binary-capable editor or maybe less
(probably regular less is more robust than jless; there are probably
options to control how non-printing-ASCII characters are displayed.)
If worst comes to worst, preprocess with `grep -i [a-z]+:' to just
get the headers.  Try piping to metamail from pine (if you can figure
out how to keep Pine from trying to display automaticlaly.

Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691