Re: tlug: emacs mailer recommendation?

> Dear John,
>
> Has anyone suggested Mutt?  I used to use Emacs with BBDB and Gnus (or was
> it GNUS?), but last year I shifted to Mutt and a home-brewed Procmail
> configuration file compiler written in Tcl.  It's a nice combination ---
> VERY fast startup, easy aliasing, very sophisticated and friendly mail
> splitting.

I tried mutt (specifically, the mutt-ja package for Debian or
Debian-JP), and didn't have the best of luck at first. Firstly, it
insisted on telling me that my mailbox was read-only, when it wasn't.
After that, I had a problem finding an editor that I could use for
composing. I settled on jvim, which was a disaster because it's built on
an earler version of vim which is incompatible with the .vimrc that I
like to use, but isn't equipped with an option to ignore it, like later
versions are. I came up with an ugly workaround, but finally decided
that it was considerably more trouble than it was worth, looked for
another japanese-capable editor, and seeing as Xemacs was the next one
on the last, decided to have a go at it. It's not been the easiest
transition so far.

> If you haven't taken a look at Mutt for Japanese, you should (I use a
> Japanized Pico from the Pine distribution as my editor).  If you would
> like a copy of my Procmail split compiler, I'll be happy to send it along.

Of course, I'm not adverse to trying it out again. Pico is an easy
enough editor to use. I was actually unable to find the pine-jp patch
(the links I had all 404ed), so if you could point me to where I can
find it, I'll give it a try when I have some time.

thanks
john
jseebach@example.com
Next Technical Meeting: June 19 (Sat), 18:30  place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1. Linux SMP on a quad-Xeon server
2. The Green Frog Linux distribution
Next Nomikai: July 16 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691