tlug: Wow - spendy.

I got in touch with a firm which handles data recovery off of damaged media.
Here's what they sent back to me:
____
Supposing you are in Japan, we charge US$300 for evaluation to examine
your tape . The evaluation fee must be paid in advance, and are not
refundable.
You will send your Tape to our Laboratory at Irumashi Saitama in Japan.
After the evaluation, we would send you a quotation for the data recovery
and return shipping. If you agree with the quotation, you would pay the
quoted fee, we would perform the data recovery, and send the recovered
data back to you.
The recovery fee is based on the capacity of your tape.
Supposing the capacity of your Tape would be 1GB, the recovery fee would be
approximately $2,600.

Yikes! Is it just me or is that highway robbery? I can almost see the price
for a hard drive that is half melted or something, but a DAT tape which
probably has one bad block on it?
I guess i don't need my data _that_ bad....

*** featuring: LabView and UDB/DB2 for Linux
Next Nomikai: May 21 (Fri), 19:30    Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691