tlug: Also, what about using my laptop?

I'm trying to set up my server machine at home, getting all it's IP
adresses services all straightened out before I bring it into work and hook
it up to the LAN.
And it just hit me that I could try running a net cable from my laptop to
my machine so that I could telnet into it and make sure the net card is
running properly.
But if course, I can't believe it would be as simple as running the cable
from one machine to the other and then just telneting in. Or can it be that
simple? If i assign some arbitrary IP address on the Linux machine, and
then telnet from my (Win98 based) laptop, why should they talk?
I thought I'd get opinions on this before trying because, as mentioned in
my other posting, the net card isn't working right now, and i want to know
what I can theoretically achieve so i can tell the difference between if my
machine isn't doing it right and if it can't be done.

	Dave

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691