Re: tlug: Also, what about using my laptop?

On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> And it just hit me that I could try running a net cable from my laptop to
> my machine so that I could telnet into it and make sure the net card is
> running properly.
> But if course, I can't believe it would be as simple as running the cable
> from one machine to the other and then just telneting in. Or can it be that
> simple? If i assign some arbitrary IP address on the Linux machine, and

No, it can't :-)   You need to use either a hub, or a crossover ethernet
cable (OK, I'm assuming you're using 10baseT or 100baseT here, not
coax).

I've never used a Planet card myself, but people who I know who have say
they're evil.  In fact, they say that about all Planet stuff.  YMMV.

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691