tlug: Noseguy

To give Linux a running start in the OS popularity contest here,
I'd like to offer some meaningful and entertaining screensavers
in the lab.  "Noseguy" has worked his way into the centre of my
plans.  A colleague here who is a Civil Code scholar and sometime
Unix hack used "sed" several years ago to grind a copy of the
Civil Code (written in pre-War official diction, which uses the
"katakana" instead of the "hiragana" series of phonetics as
inter-kanji glue), into modern diction, to show how simple such a
project would be and how much easier it is for ordinary folks to
interpret in that form.  I'd like to set up Noseguy so that he
utters sections of Professor Kagayama's edited Civil Code as he
marches around the screen.

I've tried the following:

  noseguy -font -jis-fixed-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-jisx0208.1983-* \
  -mode file -filename ./TEMP.jis

  noseguy -font -jis-fixed-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-jisx0208.1983-* \
  -mode file -filename ./TEMP.euc

The font string was generated with xfontsel, and I've
(redundantly) confirmed that a font matching this font
declaration does exist in the X font path.

The TEMP files contain just one word in Kanji.

In both cases, Noseguy reports back an empty message.  By its
length, I can infer that it's trying to show mojibake -- the JIS
version is longer by about the length of the JIS start and end
strings as expressed in mojibake.

Suggestions, anyone?  Does this look like a problem with the
encoding in the TEMP.* file, or a problem in the source of
Noseguy?

Cheers,
Frank Bennett
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691