Re: tlug: X question

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Frank> Cut and paste recently broke on the X server on my laptop.
>     Frank> I've never seen this happen before.  Can this be caused by
>     Frank> configuration problems?  What's the deal?
>
>     Frank> I'm not sure when this happened, because I use X cut and
>     Frank> paste infrequently.  I noticed it after shifting to the
>     Frank> Neomagic server, but the problem stuck when I switched back
>     Frank> to the TL SVGA server.  I'm puzzled, and really don't know
>     Frank> where to start on this one.
>
> This can happen if you reinstall a TurboLinux server (at least the
> beta versions) because it wipes your XF86Config.  It can also happen
> if you use a 3-button mouse on the desktop and the (invariably)
> 2-button device on the notebook itself.

the X server packages in TL wipe XF86Config?  Since when?  It's never done
that to me...

> The culprit I have in mind is the presence or lack of Emulate3Buttons
> or ChordMiddle in the XF86Config.

Generally the rule is:

1.  If mouse has 2 buttons, use Emulate3Buttons.
2.  If mouse has 3 buttons, try it normally first, if the middle one
doesn't work, go back and try chordmiddle.  If it still doesn't work, you
have a garbage $5 mouse and you're lucky that it works at all :)

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691