tlug: 3 questions

Hello all,

I was looking through the web for pages about how one could help people
in the countries devastated by hurricane Mitch, and I was not quite
satisfied whith what I found, so I thought of constructing a better
information system, that can have wider application.

I thought of one database, in which people can enter
- what they need in materials, services and know-how,
- and where it should be delivered (in real space or in cyberspace).

People who want to help, can decide what they want to give in real
goods, services, and know-how or whether they want to give money in
order to buy these things.

Since a problem is often that goods flow in the wrong channels in such
situations it would be nice to trace their way. This should be
technically possible, since online bookstores can do it as well. And the
tracing information might be used for a nice graphical display of the
needs in the countries, the stage of satisfaction, and the flow of
goods. I thought of the world maps they use in geography. But also the
usual economic data and graphs could be displayed. And maybe one could
even get the news in TV to report every day on the state of affairs,
just as they are reporting about the stock markets.

One could also have statistics about who is giving what, which should
make it attractive for big companies to sponsor. But if people don't
want to be listed, their can stay anonymous, just the information about
the flow of goods should be open to everybody.

Now there are three technical questions:

- How does this tracing of goods work, which software is neccessary, who
enters the information, is it public to see for anybody or does one need
special permissions or a contract to get it?

- Where could I get the software needed for the graphical displays and
statistics? What are the usual economic calculations and categories?

- How can I let other people mirror the site and keep the mirrors
synchronized in real time?

Thanks a lot,

Uli