Re: tlug: ESS 1879 sound chip not recognized under TL kernel 2.0.35

    SB> I have a Gateway 5100 with the ESS 1879 sound chip.
    SB> I believe it worked before, using a driver for the ESS 1688.  this is
    SB> now supported internally to the soundblaster family of sound modules,
    SB> and fails initialization.

    SB> Any suggestions?

1) How about pulling the drivers out of an older kernel?  B-P

2) $20 to get the commercial driver from OSS:

     http://www.se.opensound.com/

3) The docs say that ESS embedded in SB is not compatible with MSS/WSS. Did
   you select either of these in the configuration?

P.S. Since emoticons show up as the xbm's on incoming mail, how come they
are just text symbols in mail that you are creating???

--
David Riley

Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki
Hachinohe-shi Aomori-ken  031-8501  JAPAN

http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp/