Re: tlug: Re: ISDN problems

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> Most of 3Web's modems are Micrcom, and they have just two small vents on the
> top and two matching ones on the bottom.

*blink* You're using consumer-grade modems in a modem pool?

I lost count of the number of times I bitched about expecting sportsters
to work properly 24/7.  Madness, I called it.  The powers-that-were didn't
like spending money, though.  They didn't get an Ascend box until after I
was shipped to Japan -- then they realized that hardware doesn't have to
fail if it's used correctly ;)

> The specified operating temperature range is up to 40 degrees C (104
> F), which is a degree below the temp at which yours melted, so I guess
> they aren't kidding about that :-)

Nope.

The Microcoms were located in a broom closet in the high school in
Potlatch, Idaho.  Along with their end of the frame relay, a portmaster,
and a couple of linux boxes.  A very, very small broom closet.  No
ventilation.

Idaho gets pretty hot during the summers.

> A failed Microcom is a rare thing indeed.  I've only seen a few failed
> ones in the year and a half I've been with 3Web.

I may still have a lump of melted beige plastic with a barely-recognizable
Microcom logo in storage in the states ...

-- Chris