Re: tlug: Re: ISDN problems

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> The Courier had better be a good modem, for the price that they charge.

Well, you can get a good modem or you can get a cheap modem, but I don't think
anyone has combined the too.  And if you want a really great modem, you'll
have to pay quite a bit for it.  Of course, they also charge some for the USR
name, but I think that doesn't command the price it used to.

> Microcom made a good modem (I have one of their 33.6s), but they didn't do
> too well in high-temperature environments.  I had a couple literally melt
> when the temp hit 105F.  Those particular modems didn't have cooling vents
> in the case.

Most of 3Web's modems are Micrcom, and they have just two small vents on the
top and two matching ones on the bottom.  However, they run so cool that you
hardly feel any heat at all when you pick them up.  The specified operating
temperature range is up to 40 degrees C (104 F), which is a degree below the
temp at which yours melted, so I guess they aren't kidding about that :-)

However, operated within the temperature range, they are the soul of
reliabiity.  A failed Microcom is a rare thing indeed.  I've only seen a few
failed ones in the year and a half I've been with 3Web.

Jonathan