Re: tlug: Master of my domain no more...

Thomas Joseph Haslam wrote:

> At 04:41 PM 10/31/98 +0900, Sean Bennett wrote:
>
> >Today, /sbin/shutdown -r now and /sbin/shutdown -h now have
> >no effect.
>
> Question: do you get __all__ the messages or just--only--"System going
> down"?

Only "system going down".

> For some reason, your shutdown command is not killing/terminating the
> X-server.

That's probably it.  While on the linux box, Xwindows was frozen.  From the
terminal window on the W98 box I killed  Xwrapp and... <some other process that
looked suspect but I forget the name of now... 8-);  Going back to the unix
box, Xwindows is gone, but I don't have any access to the system; there is a
login prompt, but I have no cursor (?!)

> If you could get out of X and back to the line prompt, you could
> then reboot or halt the machine.

Catch 22 - see above .

> When you do that, try Xconfigurator again
> and manually do the entries.

My m/b is an Asus SP97 with an onboard SiS5598 video chip.  I only got the
XFree86 server for it recently from the Suse site - RH won't offer it until the
next revision.  Xconfigurator wouldn't work with it properly, so I did have to
do the config file entries manually.

>  If your X windows is set up again with a
> few kinks here or there worked out, _maybe_ you've solved the Xwindows/X
> server that wouldn't DIE dilemma.  Maybe not.

I'll give it a try... on Monday; Its just a test machine, so powering down is
not a problem, but I would like to find the cause.

> Also, question out of idle curiosity.  Does your machine (via vis the
> _system bios_ have any fancy "power management features"?

Actually, being one of the more recent Asus socket 7 boards, I believe it does,
but I *think* we turned them all off - I'll check if there is a power mgmt
setting for the o/b video chip that is still on...   on Monday :-)

> Is there anyone on the list tonight actually doing tech-support for Linux
> rather than arguing about it?  Please respond ASAP to SB's post.  Thanks!

or *Monday* :-)

Thanks Tom - have a good weekend.

Sean.

"Vivre La Linux, and this great tlug community we are members of." ;-)
Sean Bennett      < sean@example.com >
Nnet/Nakamura Shoji Co. Ltd.
N-Bldg. 2Flr.;  1-12-24 Minami Odouri,
Morioka City, Iwate,