Re: tlug: CODA distributed filesystem

err.. Somebody wrote:
>     >> a couple of days ago. The thing I wasn't clear on was what
>     >> happens when two people are using the same file. My
>     >> understanding was that this was allowed, and when they both
>     >> save their changes back it will intelligently combine them if
>     >> it can, otherwise human interaction is required.
>
>     >> That sounds a bit dangerous. ...
>
> Surely the automatic combination part can be disabled, or it is
> possible to lock a file.  Just gotta find the right man page :D

I glanced through the on-line man pages, and the 'automatic'
recombination
part doesn't recombine 2 edited files, or even newly created
directories.
It just updates stuff that wasn't touched.  Everything else gets dumped
into some weird dangling symlink style setup to be put back together by
a human.  Given time there will probably be tools developed to make it
easy, but it didn't sound like they exist yet.

>     Frank> I read some of the docs about conflict resolution, and it
>     Frank> sounded like an administrative headache.  If this stuff

Yep.  And till the admin fixes it, no one can access any version of the
file.

Definitly not a replacement for CVS, as was mentioned.  Still sounds
good for
single-users and laptop style stuff though.
--
Howard