Re: tlug: what to do with my Linux computer - here are the specs (and the history)

>What other stuff does it have in it?  PHT may be interested in buying it
>for testing purposes, maybe.

Let's see... the specs are these:
pentium90, 32mb RAM, 1.2gig IDE HD (the HD is brand new, by the way),
trident VGA video card, 15inch monitor, standard keyboard and mouse. Oh,
yeah, and a SB16 sound card. I only ever got as far as installing Red Hat
5.1, and then I didn't touch it after that, so it's clean of any other
software.
There is also a 1 gig SCSI Hard Drive sitting inside the computer casing,
but it isn't hooked up because i moved the SCSI controller to a different
machine. It's a really super old hard drive, though, one of those huge
black Seagate deals, so it's sslllooowww, and i don't think anyone will
really want it, but it's there inside the computer anyways. Someone could
use it as back up or something i suppose.
There also may be a 14.4 internal modem, but i can't remember if i gave
that to someone.
The deal on this computer is that it was my first computer ever, bought
back in the day when a 486 with 8mb ram seemed impressive. Like the Ship of
Theseus, over time each part got replaced until it is now basically a
wholly different machine than what i bought. So it bears the marks of
someone who has tinkered with it a lot. I think the case is the only
original part left.
As mentioned above, i bought the (IDE) hard drive new - specifically to
install Linux. I thought having a dedicated linux machine at home would be
fun, but it's just sat there for three months without me touching it
because I have Linux at work now and too many other things going on. Were
it not for the new hard drive i might have just thought it was a throwaway.
That's why i'd like to get a little something for it.
Funny how when you write about an old computer like this, it's as if it's a
person, with a history and character.

		Dave