Re: Tcl/Tk books (WAS tlug: Re: O"Reilly perl Books)

Rafael Coninck Teigao writes:

 > Ok, this ain't about Perl, but it's about O"Reilly: is TCL/TK
 > Programming book, from O"Reilly good? In thinking about buying it, what
 > would you say so?!

I'm not familiar with that one, though I agree with Scott that you can
trust O'Reilly to put out at least acceptable quality.

I recently worked through Effective Tcl/Tk Programming, by Harrison &
McLennan (McClennan?), published by Addison-Wesley. I'd give it a
B+. It is addressed mainly to, and probably most useful for, people
who are a little familiar with Tcl, but a complete beginner can
still follow the action. It's reasonably up-to-date with Tcl 8.0,
though it doesn't address some of the newer features such as
namespaces; but they give you a good introduction to using packages
and libraries, and how to write platform-independent code. They also
give extensive coverage to the canvas and text widgets, devoting a
full chapter to each.

The main complaint I had about it was that they tend to say "use this
library [which you can download from the publisher] to do
such-and-such" at points where I would like to get deeper into how the
thing works and why.

Hope this helps.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido