Re: tlug: 1.Japanese hard- and software/2.Netscape

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, WolfgangWalter Sauer wrote:

> 1.)In case I'm going to buy hard- and softwhere on my next
> visit in Japan, is there any possibility that I can't use it
> at home? In other words: can I install German or English
> software on a Japanese notebook and can I install the
> Japanese Linux on my pc?

Most hardware sold in Japan (if it's not for an NEC PC98 series machine)
can be used in any standard PC (one exception ISDN TAs, which work only in
Japan).  Japanese Linux distributions can be used on a standard PC.
Installing English software for Linux or other operating systems is not a
problem.  I have no experience with German software, but since there are
Swiss and German TLUG members, I'm sure you'll have an answer to that soon
enough.

> 2.)When I'm reading Japanese webpages with Enlish Netscape
> 4.06 (for Linux of course), the message boxes on the page
> (on the page itself Japanese charakters are displayed!) and
> my bookmarks display ASCII. Is there a way to change it or

You need the Japanizing hack (AKA Muriyari) for Netscape 4.06.  You can
get it here (this site is only in Japanese):

http://www.bekkoame.or.jp/~egota/NetscapeV.html

Instructions in English can be found here, although they don't reference
4.06.  However, I think it should work the same way (I haven't done 4.06
yet, though):

http://kichijoji.mech.tuat.ac.jp/~rob/NetscapeV.html

> do I need a Japanese Netscape?

There is no Japanese Netscape for Linux (so much for Netscape's
committment to treating Linux as a first-tier OS along with Windows :-(
), so this hack is the only option for a Japanese Netscape.  It will
reduce stability (sometimes Netscape will just crash), but it will give
you a localized Netscape that will work with kinput2 to do Japanese input
in forms (but not in Netscape mail, at least as of 4.04), and your
bookmarks will also show Japanese.

Cheers,

Jonathan