Re: tlug: 1.Japanese hard- and software/2.Netscape

Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, WolfgangWalter Sauer wrote:

> > 1.)In case I'm going to buy hard- and softwhere on my next
> > visit in Japan, is there any possibility that I can't use it
> > at home? In other words: can I install German or English
> > software on a Japanese notebook and can I install the
> > Japanese Linux on my pc?

> Most hardware sold in Japan (if it's not for an NEC PC98 series machine)
> can be used in any standard PC (one exception ISDN TAs, which work only in
> Japan).  Japanese Linux distributions can be used on a standard PC.
> Installing English software for Linux or other operating systems is not a
> problem.  I have no experience with German software, but since there are
> Swiss and German TLUG members, I'm sure you'll have an answer to that soon
> enough.

German software should work on a Japanese system, though I don't use any
German software at the time I ran Corel 5 German version on the first
Japanese system (Win 3.1J) I bought here in Japan without problems (only
the Umlaute got kanjified in the Menus).

The only thing I would double check when it comes to hardware (external
only) is the voltage. Here in Japan it is 100V 50Hz~60Hz compared to the
220V in Germany. Make sure the hardware you buy can do both or you see
your investments melting away.

urs

--
u r s  r o e s c h             h a c h i o j i,  t o k y o
e# urs@example.com                   aim# uru uru 71