Re: tlug: isdn dsu/ta + isp providers in Tokyo - Linux/WinNT compatible?

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Joseph Norton wrote:

>1) isdn dsu/ta
>
>I used to have a Motorola BitSurfrPro on my linux/WinNT box in the U.S.

The BitSurfPro is not a bad unit by all accounts, and they are sold in
Japan, so if you have a preference for them using them with NT would not be a
problem, since I'm sure they come with a driver.  I don't know about Linux.

The most popular TA in Japan is NEC, and they have a wide model range going
from basic home-use units up to higher-end SOHO units with lots of bells and
whistles.  They're quite good, and NTT's own TAs are OEM NECs.

Aiwa also works with Linux, although due to broken microcode, it needed a
Linux kernel patch to prevent dropping about half of the packets (Scott, is
this patch still necessary, or is it incorporated into the current kernel?).

Where you buy it doesn't matter much, since there will be little price
variation from one store to another (likely none; items priced exactly the
same at half a dozen "competing" stores are not uncommon). T-Zone will have a
large selection, though.

Whichever one you buy, it won't work anywhere but Japan.  NTT - a Standard
Unto Itself . . .

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section