Re: tlug: help sending email on Turbolinux

"D.A.Walter" <warrior@example.com> wrote,

> I am running Turbolinux 1.2 on a pentium machine from my house and
> connecting to the Internet through XISP.  I am able to receive email using
> Netscape Communicator 4.04, but unable to send email, because the
> Preferences won't let change the SMTP server settings from "localhost" to my
> real settings. It gives an error if anything other than localhost is used.
> Unfortunately, the "localhost" setting gives an error everytime I try to
> send something.
>
> Does anyone know what this "localhost" refers to and where is the CFG file
> that effects these settings?

`localhost' is the local host, i.e., your machine.  Anyway,
I don't think that you want to change this setting, but you
should make sure that the `sendmail' daemon or another MTA
is running on your machine.  Sendmail should accept the
messages from Netscape and forward them to wherever you sent
them.

This also works when your machine is not connected to your
ISP at the moment where you send the mail.  In this case,
`sendmail' puts the message in the local queue and forwards
it when you connect to the ISP.  (You might want to call
`sendmail -q' automatically on successful connect to your
ISP -- if you use PPP, you may configure this in
`/etc/ppp/if-up.local').

Cheers,

Manuel