tlug: help sending email on Turbolinux

I am running Turbolinux 1.2 on a pentium machine from my house and
connecting to the Internet through XISP.  I am able to receive email using
Netscape Communicator 4.04, but unable to send email, because the
Preferences won't let change the SMTP server settings from "localhost" to my
real settings. It gives an error if anything other than localhost is used.
Unfortunately, the "localhost" setting gives an error everytime I try to
send something.

Does anyone know what this "localhost" refers to and where is the CFG file
that effects these settings?

As always, thanks.

David Walter
Kobe, Japan