Re: tlug: Possible Project

From: Jonathan Byrne - 3Web <jq@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Possible Project
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 11:13:10 +0900 (JST)

jonathan> >>The article also said that Silicon Valley LUG is planning to launch
jonathan> >a small rocket in a few days with the tail fins made from Win '98 CDs.
jonathan>
jonathan> Somehow, this doesn't seem like the best way to attract lots of new
jonathan> users to Linux and give it a sound, professional image.  I hope TLUG has
jonathan> no model rocket enthusiasts (I used to do that, but I'm not gonna help
jonathan> anybody build a rocket with Windows 98 CD fins :-)   ).

I was actually more interested in the rally.  I think the rocket is just
done for fun.    This is a good quote from their home page:

   Carl Reisinger and Bob Fortune ran "rocksim" simulations on the
   proposed design. Besides determining the rocket will be stable
   (which we believe makes it better than Windoze) they
   projected the following potential altitudes.

SVLUG seems to be helping Linux get a lot of promotion through these
publicity stunts.  I guess the main thing is to have good holsum fun.
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: