Re: tlug: serial connection with laptop

> What is the prefered way to increase the number of parallel ports, and while
Plug in another paralell port adapter card.....
> I am at it serial ports too, especially with regards to Linux.  By serial
> ports, I mean game ports to put it simply.
Game ports are something different. They are for connecting joysticks
and similar devices. A serial port is a RS232C port, the kinda
thing you connect you modem to.
> And, how do you find them on the net?  I looked at egghead for a good deal,
Any reasonable computer hardware shop carries such stuff. you
are somewhat closer to Osaka ( well, not that close... ), so try
DenDen town between Nippombashi and Ebisucho subway stations.
Sofmap is a good choice. Their personnel is halfways competent
and friendly and this is by far not commonplace in Japan. Be
careful not to occupy an IO address and an IRQ already in use or
you're in for serious trouble.
> but there were so many technical sounding names and features that I had no
> understanding of so that I quit trying to undertand that.
PC hardware is somewhat abstruse, thanks to the glaring
incompetence of IBM when they designed the PC architecture.
Their only intelligent action was to well document their stuff
and make it into an open architecture when nobody else did. That
in the end sunk all their competitors and left us with the
aftermath of their wonderful designs. Get a good book about PC
hardware and don't wonder about design principles too
much.......take it as it is.

                                  Karl-Max Wagner
                                  karlmax@example.com
*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html