RE: tlug: Old SPARC SIMMs

Jonathan wrote:

> Chris says to just pull them straight up (note to Chris; you mean pull
> the SIMM straight up, not the inaccessible clip, right?), so I'll give
> that a try whenever I get around to doing stuff like that to the memory.
> Right now, one side is filled with 8 1-meg sticks.  I'll populate the
> other side with 4-meg sticks as fully as possible.  If I happen to
> acquire more than 8, I'll pull some of the 1-meg ones out and put in
> fours.

> Is it OK to put 4-meg and 1-meg SIMMs in the same side on a Sparc as
> long as each bank has the same size in it?

Chris is right - pull straight up.  Hard.  There is no magic to the
Sparc memory slot design, it requires force.  Usually I use a good pair
of pliers to grab the exposed corners of the simms.

Sparc 1's and Sparc 2's are different w.r.t. memory placement.  On your
Sparc 1, the memory is in banks of 4 together.  You can put 4's in any of
the banks, as long as the entire bank is full of 4's.  Sparc 2's use
memory interleafing across the banks instead.

-Joe.

Joe Marchak
joem@example.com

*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html