Re: tlug: Pilot<>Linux Connection

From: "Matthew J. Francis" <asbel@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Pilot<>Linux Connection
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 20:17:36 +0100 (BST)

asbel> Just to plug one of my back-burner projects again, I'm working
asbel> intermittently on a GPL'd EDICT-based J->E dictionary for the Pilot. My
asbel> best guess at the moment (the compressor isn't finished yet) is that
asbel> I'll be able to fit about 2/3 to 3/4 of the 65,000-odd entries into my
asbel> target of 700K...

The KDIC dictionary with edict-je2can accept romaji nihongo and translate
to English and kanji http://www.sra.co.jp/people/hoshi/palmos/kdic.html.
I installed a 400K dictionary 和英辞典 based on EDICT and KDIC on my pilot, then
uninstalled it.  KDIC is shareware, so it is not so cool.  Also, it can't
do something like cutting and pasting kanji from your e-mail into the
dictionary, since the dictionary can only accept romaji input.  The
edict-je2-kdic  J=>E dictionary is under one of those free or near-free
copyrights, probably the same one as EDICT, since it is based on EDICT.
There are also a number of tools to generate the dictionaries, though I
guess these are the same ones as from Monash.

So, the data for this beast is 400K.
    399305 Apr  3 13:39 edict-je2-kdic.pdb

As a beginning for your project, why not use that as a base and then
right the interface, search and parsing section for it so that we can
cut and paste Japanese into it?   Then, when you have the engine for it,
you can work on the dictionary part.

KDIC については http://www02.u-page.so-net.or.jp/ca2/kei-k/ を、
辞書については http://www.sra.co.jp/people/hoshi/palmos/kdic.html
をご覧ください。

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda craigoda@example.com http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda (my PGP)

*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html