Re: MagicPoint [was: tlug: Draft of June 13 TLUG ... ]

Jim Schweizer wrote:

[snip]

> Since you don't know a users screen size in advance I don't think
> there's a JavaScript magic bullet for this - especially if you're
> using fvwm2 with it's funky desktop that's bigger than the
> screen. But when you're designing the presentation to run only
> on your own screen...

You can with JavaScript 1.2 (Nav >= 4  || Exploder >= 4 ) see the page
at the bottom of the message.

> I wish Linux Mozilla supported sound in Java apps, macromedia
> files and a host of other plugins that make web-based multi-media
> a *reality* for people with enough bandwidth and <cough_gasp>one
> of those other OSs.</cough_gasp> Anyone ever get xanim to work
> as a Netscrape plug-in?

Macromedia actually developed an Applet that's supposed to play Flash 2
animations if no plug-in is available. When I heard last of it was still
in beta but since then they didn't send me any announcement so it might
be dead :(

There is also emblaze ( http://www.emblaze.com ) that offers streaming
audio and video without a plug-in and you don't need a server (though
the have trouble synchronizing the audio and video) the whole thing is
in java.
Unfortunately the tools to create the files is only available for Mac
and Windoze.

Just checked it in Nav 4.05 Linux with AWT 1.1.5, seems to work.

urs

############# JS sample #####################

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN">
  <head>
    <title>window width and height</title>
  </head>
<script language="JavaScript1.2">
<!--//
    // check the screen size
    var screen_w = screen.availWidth;
    var screen_h = screen.availHeight;

    with(document){
       writeln("<h1 align=center>window width and height</h1>");
       writeln("<h3 align=center>Your screen is <b>" + screen_w + "</b>
to ");
       writeln("<b>" + screen_h + "</b> pixels in size</h3>");
    }

//-->
</script>
Next Nomikai: (?) July, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691