RE: tlug: FXMail 1.2 -> 1.3

-----Original Message-----
差出人 : Scott Stone <sstone@example.com>

>China also does not respect our copyright laws - if you go to China you
>can buy commercial U.S. software for $5 on CD, since it's perfectly legal

Actually, it's not legal.  The problem is that most local authorities in
China enforce that law with the same vigor that Japan's anti-prostitution
laws are enforced.  Yes, believe it or not, prostitution really is supposed
to be illegal here :-)

You can buy all the same pirated software in Singapore too, quite openly, in
regular stores in regular malls.  Interesting how the U.S. government never
says anything about that, isn't it?

>can do about it.  That's the source of our running joke here at PHT, "If
>we made a Chinese ver. of TurboLinux, at least we wouldn't have to pay for
>replication..."

Well, there you go.  Make one CD, send it to China, and you'll corner the
market in a few weeks :-)

>This in mind, I think developers who want to be paid might be reluctant to
>care at all what Chinese users think/want/etc..

Enforcement has gotten a lot better in the last year or so, and by the time
that many Chinese can afford computers, it will be much better still.  I
think that by the time the Chinese market is ready to buy the stuff, there
will be enough piracy control to make the developers want to come in and
sell it.

Jonathan