Re: tlug: Office suite for use under Linux

On 16 Apr 1998, Frank Bennett wrote:

> intensity with which I use Japanese has now changed, and I need a
> Japanese-capable Suite of Office Productivity Tools to make my
> life complete.
>
> >From what I have been able to deduce from a badly fragmenting
> encounter with the Web, the options seem to be:
>
>   o Applixware.  Ships for Linux, runs under X, sounds nice
>     but costs an utterly outrageous 400,000 for the Japanese
>     version.  Pass, unless that price is a typographical error.

Who's shipping an Applixware-J for Linux?  My company is beta-testing the
only known (to us) Japanese applixware for Linux, and we have the
appropriate licensing agreements with Applix, etc...  are you sure that's
a LINUX version?  Anyway, I'm not sure what our price will be on Applix-J
yet, since it's still in beta.

>   o Run Caldera's Wabi system for Linux, with a Japanese version
>     of Windows and Japanese versions of MS Office.  Question is
>     whether Wabi will work with Japanese windows.

Wabi only works with 16-bit Windows applications.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: