tlug: Runlevels (was Xwrapper (was Xwrapper and "and Cathedral and Bazaar"

Christopher Sekiya writes:

 > I use this line in my inittab:
 >
 > x1:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon
 >
 > ... that's for runlevel 5, RedHat (and RH-based, like TurboLinux) will
 > want to replace 5 with 3.

I really don't know much about this, but I would think that changing
the default runlevel, e.g. replacing

	id:3:initdefault:

with

	id:5:initdefault:

is better than messing too much with the definition of a particular
runlevel. If you have trouble w/ X at some point, you might want to
boot up with the original text-mode configuration.

By the way, on the subject of runlevels: a while back I read in some
man page or other that runlevels 7-9 are valid. Does 'valid' just mean that
they are allowed by POSIX or some such standard, or will they actually
work on a Linux system (assuming, of course, that you set up the
appropriate init files)? Seems like it might be useful to set up some
customized configurations, especially for a notebook that is used in
different places/situations.

Regards,

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido