tlug: Kinput2

I think I wrote this once before but tried to send it from my work machine
when it was having problems with the NIC and it went in the bit bucket.  At
least I didn't notice it pop here.  My apologies if it did and was answered
and I missed it.

Is Kinput2 a global FEP, or does it only work on things that are run from
the same Kterm window in which Kinput2 was started?  That is, if you start
Kinput2, will any Japanese-capable application that you are running receive
Japanese input via Kinput2 whenever you hit the key combination for Japanese
input?

Next, a "how does it work" question: on MacOS, Windows 95/NT, and presumably
OS/2 (haven't tried OS/2 J), switching to Japanese input mode will attempt
to put Japanese text into any application, whether it's double-byte enabled
or not.  If the app with the focus isn't written to accept inline Japanese
input, you get the little input box that pops up on your screen and you can
type Japanese and choose kanji.  When you hit enter it goes into your
document at cursor position, and sometimes you are lucky and it will work if
you chose a Japanese font, under times it just won't and you get garbage.
But the OS will always try and force it in there.

What is the difference between that approach and the Kinput2 + Canna or Wnn
approach, where it won't even try to force Japanese into an app that isn't
written for it, such as Netscape Mail?  Can a force-it-in everywhere
approach be done on Linux/UNIX, or does the way things work under UNIX make
this not possible?

Jonathan

a word from the sponsor: