Re: tlug: Audio device

On Wed, 25 Mar 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Chris> On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>     >> OR, now that I look at it, just ignore the 'windows sound
>     >> system' garbage and use the SB compatibility.
>
>     Chris> Disagree.  In my experience, SB emulation by MSS/WSS chips
>     Chris> is pretty spotty (i.e., doesn't do stereo and/or 16-bit is
>     Chris> 'approximated).
>
> Yeah, what he said.
>
> Took me a couple days to get the new PnP AWE-64 running at all.
> Turned out not to be an SB compatibility problem (it's the PnP, this
> got documented on this list by somebody about 10 minutes after I first
> got saytime to talk to me, so I'll omit it), but in the prcess, I did
> a lot of RTFMing, and basically the FMs say relying on SB emulations
> by anything that doesn't have SB hardware in it is a waste of time.

interesting point - we got some off-brand SB-16-compat PnP cards in here.
Running turbosoundconfig on one without the --noprobe option causes a
segfault (whereas it works fine on a REAL SB-16 PnP).  Configuring the pnp
stuff manually with isapnptools or turbopnp, however, worked, and then I
ran turbosoundconfig with --noprobe, set up the thing as a SB16 (with the
modular sound thing in 2.0.33), and it worked.

Shouldn't any card with an OPL/3 FM be able to do SB FM stuff, though?  Or
is the compatibility issue with the DSP part of the soundblaster?

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: