RE: MS Outlook Setting(Re: tlug: X resolution / color depth)

    Scott> According to Ken Harada:
    Scott> On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Jonathan Byrne--3Web wrote:

<RANT>
Heaven help us.

If you patch sendmail to do that, may Serdar Argic chase you to hell
and back.
</RANT>

sendmail is a "mail transfer agent" (MTA) and by Holy Writ may not
touch the content of message bodies.  (It may and in some cases should
reencode the message body.)  It should not touch headers written by
"mail user agents" (MUAs) or other MTAs (although it's arguable that
sometimes this is necessary, as with changing the MIME transfer
encoding).

The functionality you want is available in lots of MUAs.  Under Mule,
just put

;; this code really sucks, it's just a quick hack
(lambda ()
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (search-forward "\\n\\n")
    (let ((bow (point-min))  ; save the current narrowing status
          (eow (point-max))
          (bon (point))  ; new narrowing
          (eon (point-max)))
      (narrow-to-region bon eon)
      (goto (point-min))
      (replace-string "From:" "$B:9=P?M(B :")
      (goto (point-min))
      (replace-string "To:" "$B08@example.com(B :")
      (goto (point-min))
      (replace-string "Date:" "$BF|;~(B :")
      (goto (point-min))
      (replace-string "Subject:" "$B7oL>(B :")
      (narrow-to-region))))

on your `after-display-message-hook' (whatever it's called).  Parsing
the date is left as an exercise for the reader (hint: `(require 'rfc822)').

I'd be willing to bet there are built-in functions in mew etc for
this; you can also get Supercite to do it, which is probably easier in
terms of coding than fixing my hack but requires studying Supercite
internals first (not much).  See Info | Supercite | Reference
Headers.  I'm not sure about the date translation, but it should be
easy (I think SC canonicalizes it so parsing is trivial).

Oops, I'm sorry.  I see you use Pine.  Pity, that :-)  "Things go
better with Emacs."

Customization and user preferences, anyway.

a word from the sponsor: