RE: tlug: X resolution / color depth

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> No, it's completely different; you can use the Debian package manager,
> dpkg.
>
> Debian on the other hand uses shell and Perl scripts.  Not that
> they're necessarily easier, but the skills are more widespread.

rpm is 'basically' shell script.  ie, the directives given in the %prep,
%setup, %build, %install sections are the same as bash script.

> I've also found the quality of Debian contribs to be generally higher
> than RPMs, possibly because Debian makes a big deal of the "Debian
> Policy," and leaves the documentation in an accessible place
> (/usr/doc/debian* - the * can be a pain in the butt, sometimes.)  This
> may also be true for Red Hat, I just didn't find it myself.

rpms all put their documentation into /usr/doc/(packagename)

> Finally, my experience with Red Hat is old, but at that time I found
> that Debian did package dependencies and installation status better
> than Red Hat.

they improved that... :)

> I will say that Glint is slicker than dselect.  Too much so; on the
> Sparc it's slow enough that "rpm -i `ls $RedHat/RPMS | fgrep $key`" is
> "user-friendly."  I also found descending through several trees of
> package hierarchy to find what I wanted when Red Hat and I disagreed
> on the natural section for a package to be a pain in the butt.

yeah, I need to do a non-X-based rewrite of glint for TurboLinux... it is
kind of messy the way it is now, being in Tcl or Python or some strange
'fringe language' that I don't like :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: