RE: tlug: X resolution / color depth

>>In article <000f01bd5326$fb466840$1302a8c0@example.com>, "Jonathan Byrne--3Web" <jq@example.com> writes:

>> don't think I'm the only person who will always say "But <this other OS>
>> does it automatically," right? :-)
>>
>> This is obvoiusly not a function of X.  The problem with this concept
>> is that there are far far too many available options.  Any program that
>> decides to modify my .ctwmrc without asking won't make it for long.

How about dividing the problem into two steps?  First, the install
program writes to a common log? history? file what new menu choices
are possible, with information as to the program name, functions, etc.
Second, add functionality to every window manager to customize menus.
It would start by showing the log? history? file entries.  Then the
user would choose where to put the new entry.  Several choices I can
think of are nowhere (command line only), in a menu, as part of the
automatic startup (and then as icon or full blown), or any other
condition that a windowed program can be in.

I don't even like installs to automatically mess with my info/dir
file; I can't imagine something automatically reconfiguring my window
manager properly :-)

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@example.com
            PGP = 91 B3 94 7C E9 E8 76 2D   E1 63 51 AA A0 48 89 2F
a word from the sponsor: