Re: tlug: X resolution / color depth

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Matt Gushee wrote:

> Iannucci David writes:
>  > Question time again:
>  >
>  >    So.... if I know I've got an appropriate monitor, and enough
>  > video RAM, how can I force my X server to run at a given resolution
>  > (e.g. 1024x768) and at a given color depth?
>
> The resolution part is simple. In the "Modes" line of the "Display"
> subsection of the "Screen" section of your XF86Config file,
> whichever resolution (actually, the name of a modeline that produces a
> particular resolution) is listed first will be your default
> resolution. Mine looks like this:
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Driver      "svga"
>     Device      "Vid Card"
>     Monitor     "Gateway Monitor"
>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       8
>         Modes      "1024x768" "1152x864" "1280x1024" "640x480" "800x600"
>         ViewPort    0 0
> 	Virtual     1280 1024
>     EndSubsection
>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       16
>
> ... and so on. So, at 8 & 16 bpp, I have five resolutions available,
> with 1024x768 as the default.
>
> Hope this helps.

2 additions to this:

1.  Take out the 'Virtual' line and make your default res your highest
res, if you think that panning around a virtual desktop with your mouse is
annoying (as myself and most people seem to think so, at least...)

2.  Add, right under the 'Monitor' line:

DefaultColorDepth 16

that way you always get the depth you want - the default default depth is
8, so if you don't have this line you have to 'startx -- -bpp 16' ... if
you set the default to 16, then 'startx' will go in 16bpp without any
commandline args.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: