tlug: X resolution / color depth

Iannucci David writes:
 > Question time again:
 >
 >    So.... if I know I've got an appropriate monitor, and enough
 > video RAM, how can I force my X server to run at a given resolution
 > (e.g. 1024x768) and at a given color depth?

The resolution part is simple. In the "Modes" line of the "Display"
subsection of the "Screen" section of your XF86Config file,
whichever resolution (actually, the name of a modeline that produces a
particular resolution) is listed first will be your default
resolution. Mine looks like this:

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "Vid Card"
    Monitor     "Gateway Monitor"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes      "1024x768" "1152x864" "1280x1024" "640x480" "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
	Virtual     1280 1024
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16

... and so on. So, at 8 & 16 bpp, I have five resolutions available,
with 1024x768 as the default.

Hope this helps.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido