Re: tlug: SCSI Server Card

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Christopher Sekiya wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > OTOH, all my servers have AIC-7xxx cards, and they all work flawlessly
> > (well, I have one buslogic flashpoint in one of them in the USA...) ..
>
> I've had three, and they've all been problematic.  There are known
> problems with the AIC driver in 2.1.x kernels.  The symptoms are sudden
> system hangs during heavy SCSI access.  The cause is more or less known,
> and is being worked on.
>
> I still won't touch an AIC-based card with a ten-foot pole.

Neither would I - the inaccuracies involved in moving a ten foot pole with
enough precision would most likely damage the card.  It's much easier to
get it in the slot if you touch it with your hands directly, and after
that you don't really need to touch it at all.

Thanks for the warning on the 2.1.x kernels, though... my main FTP
server's got about 40GB of disks hooked up to an AHA 2940.. it runs 2.0.33
now, 2.0.30 previously, and even with 500 simultaneous downloaders, the
2940 never failed me.  I hope they fix that driver for 2.2 or something,
otherwise I'll have to patch the 2.0.33 aic7xxx code back in :)

What is the cause, anyway?

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: