Re: tlug: ftp USER expired

    Jim> I read the ftpaccess man page, but it didn't say anything
    Jim> about this. No mention of it in the Practical Unix & Internet
    Jim> Security book either.

    Jim> Anonymous ftp is working fine so I set up a jim directory
    Jim> there with 1733 permissions so I can ftp files, but it's a
    Jim> little mendokusai and I want to get rid of the incoming
    Jim> directory before the warez cretins find it.

    Jim> This is pretty much Red Hat straight out of the box so I
    Jim> wonder why this is happening.

    Jim> Any ideas?

PAM is her name. The P is for PAIN :) I say that 'cause I was chasing
myself around in circles that other day, trying to figure out why I
could not do a remote login. I still don't understand the whole setup,
but its a modular security package that seems to come by default, at
least with RH 5.0. Check /etc/pam.d/ftp. Mine looks like:

%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny file=
/etc/ftpusers onerr=succeed debug
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok debug
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_shells.so debug
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so debug
session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so debug

If you add the "debug" options, you'll see stuff logged to
/var/log/messges.

I still have not gotten this to work, as ftpd core dumps on me! I have
not had time to check it out yet. Check out /usr/doc/pam-0.59/ for
more info.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: