Re: tlug: gcc misplacing pointers?

    Scott> Hm - is there a Linux version available (even commercially)
    Scott> ?  I'm sure I could get the company to spring for a copy if
    Scott> it's available for Linux.

Purify and related tools, Quantify and Pure Coverage, were developed
by a company call PureAtra (sp?), which have since been bought by
Rational Software. http://www.rational.com/. They make a version of
purify for NT, but I'm fortunate enough not to have to use it :)

A quick look at their web page indicates that they only support Sparc
(SunOS & Solaris), HP, and SGI. :(

Too bad. they are very good tools. Quantify is code profiler with a
graphical frontend. Pure Coverage tells which lines of you program
have been executed. With it, I can say that EVERY line of my
application has been tested. Whether it works right or not, well thats
another story. :)

I know that gcc has a profiler, but there is nothing that I know of
that does what purify and pure coverage do. Conceptually it they should
not be too difficult to build, but implementing them would be rather
compilicated I think. You need to write a linker that can insert calls to
you own wrapper functions. The wrapper would then collect whatever
data before and after each of the original functions, and then provide
it in some form at the end. Between the linkage and symbol tables for
debugging, you should have all the information you need...

About 20 levels too deep for me, I'm afraid...

Andy
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: