Re: tlug: /bin/bash

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Craig Oda wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Mar 1994, Rafael Coninck Teigao wrote:
>
> > -the error message for all this is: could not exec /bin/bash!
> > 	But I've even tried to upgrade this file and the same error occurred, I
> > really don't know what is going on!
>

> This might be a libc incompatibility problem.  If you do this,
> niji:~$ ldd -v /bin/bash
>
> do you get this
>
>   ldd: version 1.8.10
>         libreadline.so.2.0 => /lib/libreadline.so.2.0
>         libncurses.so.3.0 => /lib/libncurses.so.3.0
>         libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5
>
> or is it linked to libc6?

..and hopefully you have ldd 1.9.5 or higher, regardless of which libc you
have, otherwise you have a pretty bad security hole on your system
(according to the folks at BUGTRAQ). ... TL 1.2 has ldd 1.9.5 and libc
5.4.38 - the packages are available for free by FTP from
ftp.turbolinux.com if you need to upgrade.  along with a working bash
package :)

Funny thing, though, when I do 'ldd -v /bin/bash' it says nothing about
libncurses.

> You may not be able to upgrade bash as it may be required for upgrades.
> For example, the upgrade script for debian requires a sh.
> What I did was compile zsh from source with libc6, do a link from
>  /bin/sh to /usr/bin/zsh (it's linked to bash by default), then
> do the upgrade of bash.
>
> The reason that you cannot login as root is that you probably
> cannot login at all. I'm assuming that you are still logged into
> your current session.  if this is the case, you need to add /usr/bin/zsh
> to your /etc/passwd file.
>
> Do not log out right now until you can fix the problem.  Keep your
> root console open.  You will probably be locked out of your system
> if you exit or do a reboot.
>
> If you're locked out, go in with the system disk and try to copy
> a binary of a shell to somewhere and then execute that as your
> shell at login.
>

> Regards,
> Craig
>

> ---
> craig@example.com

> Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
> Chuo-ku, Kyobashi 1-1-6, EchiZenYa Bld. B1/B2 03-3275-3691
> Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
> Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18n talking on source code
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.