Re: tlug: simple C

From: Jim Schweizer <schweiz@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: simple C
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:18:56 +0900 (JST)

> There's gotta be something wrong with my machine. The output of
> that table is:
> <snip>
> 12 = ^L
>
> 14 =
> 15 =
> 16 =
> 17 =
> 18 =
> 19 =
> 20 =
> 21 =
> 22 =
> 23 =
> 24 =
> 25 =
> 26 =
> 27 =
> 28 =
> 29 =
> <snip>
>
> yields a table that's blank up to 32 and I don't even see a pi
> sign (although I do get  '' = '227').

Most (all??) of the codes below 32 (0x20) are control codes.    I wouldn't be
surprised if they didn't print.  (Although I know I have displayed them under
DOS to get the hearts, diamonds, etc chars).

In my DOS book, 227 does represent PI *if* you are using the STD IBM CHAR SET.
Even if you are in DOS and using a different code page you probably wouldn't
get PI, but the tilde'd-a.   I would assume this to be the Latin 1 set, as
suggested by Manuel..... but as luck would have it, I can't find the manual
with all the char set mapping in it to confirm it 100%.

> BTW the C book I got the table out of says #28 is ^\ (is there
> some difference between DOS and U*IX?)

Looks correct to me.
ASCII 0 - 26  are ctrl a-z.
Then 27 - 31 are ctrl [, ctrl \, ctrl ], ctrl ^ and ctrl _ respectively
(these are the 5 chars which follow the caps alphabet in the ASCII table,
surprise, surprise:)

tim :)
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: