tlug: TLUG CD-ROM thoughts

Hi,
I thought I would share some initial thoughts about the CD-ROM.

I think that we should build it from the future TLUG FTP repository.
This makes the FTP repository structure very important.

We could do stuff like

      I18N                     L10N

----------------
  |      |    |
editor  www  drawing

Or stuff like that.  Obviously, how we structure it will be pretty
difficult to decide.

My idea is to follow the Linux Software Map idea and have a TLUG
software map so that

   yudit-1.0.tar.gz

would have a file like

   yudit-1.0.tlug-map

associated with it.  We could then process the maps through some
scripts to extract the description and produce an index.

I would also like to propose use of *.html files as part of the
FTP archive, similar to sunsite.

However, I think it would be neat to make the full multimedia
event and have an awesome graphic interface within a browser.
O' Reilly's CD-ROM books are a great example of how to build a
nice interface, IMHO.

We could produce a nice software and documentation catalog of the
stuff on the CD-ROM / FTP archive.

If people want to pursue this approach, the planning of the
standardization and structure of the files and maps would be
really important.

BTW, I did an nslookup and tlug.org is taken by Toronto Linux Users
group.

tlug.or.jp is open.  However, JPNIC is more expensive.  I also
think that you have to be a member of JPNIC to register and route
the domain (TWICS is a member, but...).  Also, this is the kicker,
JPNIC requires a fair amount of documentation that proves that the
 *.or.jp organization is really a non-profit organization.

I have three ideas, we could go for Tokyo-lug.org, or we could go for the
registration of TLUG as a real organization.   Or, we can use monolith.
Check our http://www.ml.org

This would be a free subdomain of ml.org  like tlug.ml.org  (which
is open according to nslookup).

-- Craig

---
craig@example.com

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: